Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Day 23: The Real Reason for the Season


It bothers me that according to our culture, my value as a person and as a young lady is dependent on whether or not I have a boyfriend. This idea was emphasized by my grandma's perfect timing this evening- she called us, as I was drafting this post, and asked me the same question that she has asked me every time we've talked on the phone for my entire life: "So do you have a boyfriend yet?" "No, not yet..." "Oh, well you have plenty of time."

Yes, thank you, I'm well aware of that.

This idea seems emphasized even more by the fact that it is indeed Christmas. Holidays in general are really another chance for everyone to sell products, and memories, directed specifically toward couples; like cute pictures in the snow, or kissing under mistletoe. Obviously I'm not a couple. I'm okay with that, I really am. But I'm the first to admit that I am occasionally disappointed that another holiday has come and gone and God hasn't given me my special man to share it with.

I want to be able to have that sweet picture with the boy I love standing together in front of the Christmas tree.

I love Christmas, and holidays in general, and I love love, and I love Jesus. I don't want a picture with a boy nearly as much as I really want a man who loves God more than anything in the world, and who strives to reflect that in all he does; if that's not the case, then I'm not going to worry about it. I thank the Lord that every time I get discouraged concerning this, He lovingly reminds me that He has a perfect plan and perfect timing, and that I will value that precious picture in front of the Christmas tree so much more because I've had to wait for it.

In addition to this, I'm reminded that our Lord is the perfect companion for life. That Jesus was sent to our world to save me and you, and that is infinitely more important to me than my relationship status. I know I'm not the only one that gets a bit discouraged with this whole thing. But I remember that Jesus is the only reason for the season and I should be celebrating Him instead of worrying about myself.

I think sometimes God allows these feelings to surface to allow an opportunity for Him to remind us of His true love for us.
Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment