Saturday, May 2, 2015

Sew Sew


Ever since I began sewing in the eighth grade, I haven't been able to stop. I think I'm addicted- but that's not a bad thing! I love love love it. And I've continually gotten better (which makes sense) so I love it even more.

Personally I know that I value the pieces I make so much more than anything I could buy. Making something myself just makes it so much more special, and it becomes all me- no one else will ever have the exact same bag or dress again. ;) Being the one to create my projects makes me understand the work and effort it takes to make something all my own- I appreciate the process when I have to go through it rather than just spending money on things. I think that picking out fabric is my favorite part of the whole process; I can spend hours in Hobby Lobby and Joanne. Picking fabric is a process that cannot be rushed.

I have recently been in the process of sewing  MY PROM DRESS. I. Am. So. Excited.  Shout out to my mom for encouraging the idea :) I've never done a project this big or fancy before so it's completely new to me.

        This dress / silhouette was my inspiration. I wanted something classic, that I knew would be comfortable, and different than everyone else. I combined two different patterns to make the dress: I took the skirt and waistband pieces from the pattern on the left, and the bodice pieces from the one on the right, which really wasn't hard to do. I cut the pieces way bigger than I needed to just to ensure that I couldn't possibly make the dress too small. I did have to make it smaller as I went, and I made sure to put in the zipper last; even then I had to take it in because the top edge of the bodice was kind of poochy. 

I didn't take any pictures as I cut the pattern or the fabric, because that is the longest and most tedious part of the process, and trying to take nice pictures would have just frustrated me. 

I focused on the bodice first, since I figured that was really the focal point of the dress. Obviously it's black, and the bodice itself is satin, while the overlay is a netting. This style/bodice was totally new to me, but super exciting. Again, really not too difficult, but, more time consuming than I expected. 



The bodice was really fun to put together. It's cool to know now how dresses like this are constructed.




And then the skirt happened. Let me tell you, these pieces were massive, and I did end up having to redo the back seam and trim a bunch of excess off. The pattern called for a lining to go with the skirt, so I did both of those separately. The skirt is a gold/champagne satin, and the lining is a light cream something-or-other- it's very thin and swooshy. 



Long, long seams. Lots of gathers. Became kind of paranoid about the fabric folding on itself as I sewed, because it happened more than once. I had to gather the skirt and lining, then attach them to the waistband, which became a bit thick and awkward, but we all survived. 



Many pins were harmed in the making of this prom dress. 
I ended up having to do two hook-and-eyes, one above the zipper and the other at the top of the neckline. Mom helped out with the hem, because I can't seem to measure straight to save my life. 






I had a great time at Prom and am glad that I went. 
xoxo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment