Saturday, January 31, 2015

Confessions of a Newly-Turned 18 Year Old


I feel like there's this huge misconception about turning 18 that sets some invisible standard up for us kids to grapple with, thanks to Hollywood, the inter-web, and those still-older-than-you kids at school.
You know what I'm talking about: that mysterious 'air of sophistication' that comes the morning of your 18th Birthday (or any birthday?). It's easy to spot these students because they're probably wearing some sort of "It's my 18th Birthday" identification. They seem older (obviously) and just quite possibly capable to finally shape-up if they so choose. They just seem like they have it all figured out, with the world at their fingertips, ready to go out and get what they want. Surely they're not scared with what the future holds, not the least unsure of what they're going to experience in the next few months after Graduation. They know exactly how they're celebrating, and exactly who they're celebrating with. And it will be amazing.
This image of the wonderful transition into adulthood, however, is a figment of our imaginations. It's true. Because let's be honest, we are still children. If you don't believe me, and you think that I am one of those students mentioned above, keep reading, and hopefully you will understand why it's just not true.

Confessions of a Newly-Turned 18 Year Old
  • I still sleep with a stuffed animal and blankie. Because I can. Whoever said that you can be too old to sleep with these much needed items should double-check that. 
  • I'm going to a college in town for a few reasons. One of which is that I want to stay near my mommy. 
  • I have no idea what I'm doing with the rest of my life.
  • I cry every time I watch Monsters Inc and Tangled.  
  • I still laugh when the ketchup bottle farts.
  • I take naps. With my blankie.
  • I choose shampoo based on its smell
  • I will go to great lengths to avoid social interaction when it's not absolutely necessary
  • Anticipating phone calls makes me nervous
  • I love socks and Goldfish crackers
So how did I celebrate my birthday anyway? I had three friends come over to my house, and we hung out, played Nintendo, ate food, and colored. This morning I got breakfast at Waffle House and bought some fabric (thanks mommy:)) Nothing crazy, but it was what I wanted to do. And I'm thankful I got to do anything at all.

No matter how I celebrate my birthday, life has taught me many things that have shaped me into who I am today. Some are more impacting than others but all are important nonetheless. One of the most important, is that if you act like you know what you're doing, no matter what it is, be it dancing, presenting, dressing, or just being, everyone will believe that you know what you're doing. I have learned this from multiple occasions. Because, I am not a good dancer. But if you are moving close enough to the actual beat of the music, and you just pretend your body's supposed to be moving like that, then nobody will question it. Relating to that, is the fact that nobody is ever paying as much attention to you as you think. We spend more time wondering about this than anyone actually spends thinking about us. So relax. Take time to know yourself. This has been a great teaching-tool for me, because trust me when I say that crowds make me anxious. So it's probably a good idea that I don't go to every school function, and surround myself with people that I don't really like anyway. I would not enjoy it. I do make sure to go to some though, because what the heck? Life moves fast.

Also, I get grumpy if I wait too long to eat. Don't worry about eating that cupcake, or the fact that that one guy took exactly 27 minutes to text you back but you responded in only 13. Because cupcakes are blessings and boys are clueless. Be honest with yourself. And be honest with those you care about. It's easier to talk about the things you want and expect before getting emotionally involved in things, than after a huge misunderstanding has already exploded. Don't settle or lower your standards for anything. Anything. You do you. Do what you need to do, and don't make yourself uncomfortable for anyone. You have no obligation to anyone to do something you're not ready for. Don't rush yourself; growth, healing, love, and hair all take time. So embrace the journey. Don't try hiding yourself from your friends. They love you for a reason. Go ahead and buy the shoes- they'll be gone if you don't and you can always return them. Learn how to say no. Eyebrow gaps are way more important than thigh gaps. Be kind- you never know what someone else is going through. Be willing to forgive and make-up, because it takes a lot more effort to not be friends with someone, then to just get over yourself. And last, but definitely most important: Trust God. He loves you and has a perfect plan for your life. So, don't spend an excessive amount of time thinking about it like I sometimes do.

I'M 18 GUYS!! So far it feels great. :)) Not really different, but fun in an adventure-is-coming kind of way. Learning to take it one step at a time, and glad you get to be there with me. <3

  

No comments:

Post a Comment