Thursday, June 25, 2015

Natural and Easy Teeth Whitening

When people ask me if I whiten my teeth, I never really know how to answer... I don't use a whitening product, but I do have a system to clean my mouth and whiten my teeth at the same time (which is really a plus). 

Kind of awkward to explain, I simply oil-pull. Oil-pulling involves one ingredient, coconut oil, and ideally 20 minutes of commitment a day. As far as I know you can use any kind of coconut oil, and you can do this whenever it's convenient. 
All you have to do is melt a spoonful of oil, or if it's summer like right now, take it right out of the jar already melted, and swoosh it around in your mouth. 20 minutes of swishing is great, but you can do whatever works for you and build your way up. I will say, it can be gross at first and taste weird, but you get used to it. You can brush your teeth afterward, but it's not necessary. When I oil-pull, my mouth tastes cleaner than when I brush, and prevents yucky morning breath if I do it before bed. Ideally you want to pull every day, which really isn't difficult, but you can do it at different intervals depending on your needs/goals. 

You do not want to swallow the oil, because as you use it, it is pulling toxins out of your mouth and gums. Also, when you spit it out afterward, you want to spit it in the trash and not the sink/drain, because when it sits it hardens and will clog the drain over time. 

That's it! Super simple. While I like how the oil thoroughly cleans my mouth, it really does whiten my teeth as well. You can find many links and resources for more information on Pinterest or Google, but this is the basic gist of it. 
Have fun!
xoxo,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment