Friday, March 18, 2016

Question



I've always been a supporter of modesty.
Look in my closet and you will find a sufficient number of stylish shirts, sweaters, or jackets to cover up the not-always-appropriate spaghetti strap tank top.
I don't even own a crop top (but I'm considering buying one to go with my new maxi skirt because I have nothing else to finish the outfit).

I have not always understood everyone's extreme adherence to modesty, because let's be honest: it's pretty subjective, especially when it comes to swimwear.

During high school, I was part of a church where the friends I spent time with were held to a pretty high standard, over and above the 'please no bikinis'  when we would do anything with our youth group involving water games/activities. There were always extra clothes thrown on top of the existing one-piece or tankini.

Now before I state my question, know that I do own two bikinis as well as a tankini and a very cute one-piece, thank you very much. Because I only get invited to go swimming about two times each summer, these are rarely used. But, I can and will wear each one of them if I so choose.
Does that mean I'm not modest? You may think so. I'd argue with you about it if it was 100 degrees outside and there was no one else at the pool to bother looking at me.


Now, here's my question: why is it that guys are not encouraged to wear more modest swimwear, when we girls are expected to dress so that no one may struggle the problem of lust?

Isn't it entirely possible that when a hot guy walks around without his shirt on, a girl could find herself lusting too?

*I personally have no problem with guys not wearing shirts at the pool. I am definitely not complaining when Bradley Cooper's doppelganger walks past me in only swim trunks. But I also have good control over my thoughts, and can keep them from straying.

But really, why are guys held to a different standard?
I totally respect you and whatever you feel the need to wear at the pool or beach. But I don't think we have any reason to be judging each other. When we judge other people based on what they're wearing, that reveals a lot more about our heart and attitude than it will about theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment